Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 12, 2011

A Mom Is A Mom And A Kid Is a Kid And We're Off To See The Wizard!

When thinking back on our mothers, their mothers and their mothers' mothers, I don't know about you but I always think about "grown-ups".  My mother was always a "grown up".  (Something I have yet to achieve.) 

While rifling through my dad's files trying to find his birth certificate, so he could prove he is a citizen for his driver’s license renewal (oh brother), I found evidence that our mothers, their mothers so forth and so on may not always have been "grown-ups"!  I know this comes as a great shock, I would not believe it myself had I not seen it with my own eyes but, believe it or not, it's true.  Our mothers their mothers and yes even, do I dare say it, our mothers' mothers and possibly beyond were once children and by being children it means they were daughters themselves.  There I said it; our mothers were daughters not always "grown-ups" who had mothers themselves and their mothers likewise.  I understand this is a huge bite to swallow, so feel free, take a moment if you must, ponder it, let it sink in, no worries I am not going anywhere.   I can wait until you are ready to continue.

This magnificent earth shattering discovery I, Kimmy alone, have made for all womankind as it turns out, revealed my mother had been a child and my grandmother a mother etc.  It rocked me to my core to know these women in ways I had not.  Discovering this about my own ancestry one must assume, get ready, your mothers were children once too.  Do You need smelling salts, diet coke, to lie down?

My Grandparents had my mother late in life.  They were married in 1914 and had long given up hope of having a child, but in 1927 the "stork" delivered my mother an only child.  My Grandmother, Viola, being overjoyed kept every record, picture clipping imaginable.  My own mother kept very good records as well, unfortunately I didn't inherit the trait.  After seeing the records they kept, I am sorry for that now.  I will do better?  Who am I kidding!

I did inherit two things I know of.  I love the wizard of oz and I love to give parties.   My mother gave me great parties and her mother gave her great parties.  My mother lived in a company town during and after the great depression.  The town was just outside Death Valley in California and they mined potash.  The name of the town was Trona and it was literally a dust bowl but to hear my mother talk about it, it sounded like heaven.  When I discovered this article clipped from the town newspaper which covered her birthday party I think she might have been right.  The article explains the wizard of oz.




Wow, my mom is a kid here and my grandmother is a mom.  I need to stop and ponder for a minute.  I found a letter from my great grandmother to my grandmother giving motherly advice and support.  I need another moment.  My grandmother is now a daughter and my great grandmother a mother.  Her advice to her daughter is eerily similar to advice my mother gave to me, which is eerily similar to advice I have given to my daughters and wait a minute... now I am watching my daughter do what I have done.  whoa, don't tell me; could this be a continuous cycle?  Maybe my mother, her mother etc. never felt like "grown-ups' either?
Happy pondering.
Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to throw a wizard of oz party for Margaret! I love you, Mom!

    ReplyDelete