Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

If You Don't Chase It You Can't Catch It (What's It?)

"It", whether it's family, career, education, hope, faith or anything else our heart desires can be ours. All we have to do is catch "It". That sounds easy enough. I think I will start chasing "It" tomorrow. Oh yea, tomorrow never comes. That is truly unfortunate. I guess I better start now. First I need to figure out what "It" it is that I'm chasing, so I will know when I catch "It".

There have been times when it was crystal clear what I was chasing, like in the seventh grade when I wanted to be first chair first soprano in the school choir. Cheryl was a really wonderful singer, the best in the class, and she had a lot of confidence. I loved to sing and my mother thought I had a beautiful voice, but I wasn't so sure. When it came time to challenge for a chair, first chair being best of course, there were only two ways to win. The first, and easiest, which was my strategy, was to know more of the song than the other girl. The second, and most difficult way to win, was to just flat out be a better singer. I was good at memorizing. Cheryl was a natural singer, but didn't spend much time studying the lyrics and, you guessed it, I picked a song I new she didn't know. The challenge was on. Let the best man win, or at least the one who knew all the words. Mean or nice, good or bad, fair or unfair, you be the judge, I sang with the knock of my knees carrying farther than the sound of my voice. I won the challange and took first chair. Mr. Kemper let the class know that even though Cheryl had sung better, I had sung longer and knowing the music was also important. I went to my new chair and Cheryl went to hers, the whole class making sure I knew I would not be there long. Cheryl would be challenging me the next week and she would definitely know the entire song and, of course, out sing me. After all she was the better singer, even Mr. Kemper said so. I didn't listen.

It was Challenge Monday. Cheryl was in the fifth chair and I was in the first. All the girls thought I was the meanest girl around for winning first chair the way I did. I was beginning to think it wasn't the nicest thing either, and what's the point of having first chair first soprano for just a week. If I couldn't sing longer this time, I had to sing better. I really did not want to lose that chair. I was scared to death.

The walk up to the piano was eternally long. When I got there facing Mr. Kemper to sing, and not the class, was all that made it bareable. Cheryl was the challenger, so she sang first. She sang all the lyrics and she sounded beautiful. I could hear giggles behind me. I was all but beat. My turn. I closed my eyes. I took a deep breath. I sang. I sang all the lyrics, but this time my voice carried farther than my knocking knees. Apparently, and most definitely to everyones suprise, especially mine, I sang more beautifully than Cheryl. Mr Kemper's jaw dropped. I heard quiet wows from behind me. And Mr Kemper told the class that was how he wanted everyone to sing. I kept first chair first soprano. I kept it all year. No one ever beat me and most of the class quit trying.

It may seem silly that one small victory from so many years ago could still give confidence, but it does. We need to remember our little triumphs and use them to help us now. So many times when I think something is impossible I remember seventh grade choir. I chased "It" and I caught "It". I caught it and kept it the whole year.

Now I am chasing success with my shop and a new dress line coming out in the fall. I am sure I will get winded and worn out along the way, but I am not giving up. Did you know Chanel couldn't sew or draw? If she could do "It" so can I!

Signing off until....

5 comments:

  1. HECKYESSSSS!!!! you can definitely do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY! I need a victory like that! Anyway, good luck with you store and your new line!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great news about becoming a grandma!! How fun!! Congrats to all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm sometimes I am like...my mom rocks...and then I read your blog and I am like...yeah she totally does.

    ReplyDelete